For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi : The encounter 30 of ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 will witness Pakistan locking horns with South Africa at the home of cricket Lord’s in London. The game was supposed to be one of the big matches of this tournament but it looks like this contest is going to have no bearing on the overall result. Pakistan has won just one match out of its five while South Africa has won one out of its six. Both the teams are virtually out of the race for a semi-final berth unless something truly disastrous happens to one of the top-4 teams.That does not mean there is nothing to play for. Both South Africa and Pakistan are proud cricketing nations that are hurting due to their poor performances. The teams are receiving a lot of criticism from their fans and some players may be playing for their careers.Both the teams have some players that are at the end of their careers and a couple of them may well have played their last international game. It would have been a week since Pakistan lost its match against India and suffered a tidal wave of criticism. The team would be very keen to get on the ground and start playing some cricket because the only way to shut down this reaction is to start winning again.Pakistan recently played a series against South Africa where they won two matches and showed that they can compete. They must remember those times and cone into this match with confidence.Team Combination: Pakistan: Pakistan team had a miserable outing against India at Old Trafford in Manchester. In batting, the team looked all over the place. However, it looks highly unlikely that team will tinker with their batting line up. In bowling, it is highly likely that Shaheen Afridi replaces Hasan Ali into the set up. Hasan hasn’t had the best of the World Cup and struggled to break important partnerships. Probable XI: Imam Ul Haq, Fakhar Zaman, Babar Azam, Mohammad Hafeez, Sarfaraz Ahmed (c & wk), Shoaib Malik, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Amir, and Shaheen Afridi. South Africa: South Africa will look to start fresh against Pakistan, and with this, they might well be tempted to bring JP Duminy back into the set up to make their middle-order look strong. Probable XI: Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wk), Aiden Markaram, Faf du Plessis (c), Rassie van der Dussen, JP Duminy, Andile Phehlukwayo, Chris Morris, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Imran TahirWho will win? On current form, and the way World Cup has panned out for these two sides, South Africa has slight edge over Pakistan. Weather and pitchThe build-up to the game has been marred by rain.The weather report for Sunday is sunny with some cloud cover but no threat of rain.Stadium and timingsThe match will be played at Lord’s and the match will begin at 3:00 PM IST. Pakistan is currently placed at ninth spot in points table. South Africa lost against New Zealand in their last World Cup game. This will be the first game at Lord’s. highlights
The Latest: Beach volleyball spikes 2 more events “We are aware of the CDC’s interim guidance suggesting the postponement of events involving more than 50 people over the next eight weeks,” the speedway said in a statement released before 6 a.m. local time.“Our priority is to do our part in protecting the public health while still conducting the 104th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge as scheduled on May 24. This continues to be a dynamic situation which we are monitoring constantly in coordination with federal, state, local and public health officials.”___10:10 a.m.A second team has withdrawn from the Kontinental Hockey League playoffs because of the coronavirus outbreak. ___1:30 p.m.The women’s professional tennis tour has suspended all competition until May 2 because of the coronavirus outbreak.The WTA says it is calling off clay-court tournaments in Stuttgart, Istanbul and Prague, adding those to a list of events previously canceled.Each of those three tournaments was scheduled to begin in April. 11:10 a.m.McLaren says the team member who tested positive for coronavirus at the Australian Grand Prix “is recovering well” and that his “symptoms have gone.”The British team pulled out of the season-opening Formula One race on Thursday because of the positive test. The race was canceled on Friday.Fourteen members of the team were also placed in quarantine for 14 days after coming into close contact with the person who tested positive for the virus. McLaren chief executive Zak Brown says they are in “good spirits.”McLaren says the rest of the team has returned to Britain but will not go to the team’s headquarters for two weeks as a precaution. The KHL is widely considered to be the strongest hockey league outside the NHL and is one of the few major sports organizations still operating in Europe.There are now six teams remaining in an eight-club conference semifinal bracket.Finnish club Jokerit withdrew Saturday citing concern for the health of its players and staff. Now Barys Astana says it is withdrawing after authorities in Kazakhstan banned sports events and restricted entry to the country.All six of the remaining teams are based in Russia, where various cities and regions have imposed their own restrictions. Spartak Moscow and Dynamo Moscow played in an empty arena on Wednesday.The KHL said Saturday it was “in consultation with clubs and all relevant authorities to diligently manage the impact” of the virus outbreak. With the first four races postponed, the F1 season will not resume until May at the earliest.___11 a.m.Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials say they are holding off on postponing the month of May activities that conclude with the Indianapolis 500 on Memorial Day weekend.The Indy 500 draws crowds in excess of 300,000. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the coronavirus outbreak’s effect on sports around the world (all times local):___12:30 p.m. Associated Press More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The German soccer federation says that games in the top two women’s divisions and the women’s cup will be suspended through April 19.___2:05 p.m.British horse racing will take place without spectators and with restrictions on the number of attendees.The British Horseracing Authority says “the intention is for scheduled race meetings to take place wherever possible.” It adds that “decisions may have to be made to cancel meetings.” BHA chief executive Nick Rust says the racing industry is “following the government’s advice to strike a balance between protecting public health and maintaining business activity.”More than 250,000 people attended the four-day Cheltenham Festival last week.No decision has been made on whether the Grand National Steeplechase will go ahead at Aintree next month. More Britons bet on that race than any other. ___1:55 p.m. The tour says a decision will be made “in the week ahead” about the rest of the European clay-court circuit.The next Grand Slam tournament is the French Open, which is scheduled to begin in Paris on May 24.___11:25 a.m.The leader of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics says there is no May deadline to cancel the games and he remains confident the event will go ahead despite sports coming to a virtual standstill globally amid the coronavirus outbreak. The international beach volleyball tour has postponed two more events, clearing the schedule of everything until May 6.The FIVB says a three-star event that was supposed to take place this week in Gold Coast, Australia, and a four-star tournament next week in Cancun, Mexico, have been postponed because of travel restrictions in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The events are crucial for athletes trying to qualify for the Summer Olympics, with more points available at the higher-rated tournaments.The FIVB says it is in contact with the IOC about “potentially revising the beach volleyball qualification system” for the Tokyo Olympics.As of Monday, four of the last nine points-rich four- and five-star events have been postponed or canceled.___ The body’s headquarters will also remain closed from Monday until further notice.The committee canceled the remainder of the Olympic torch relay last week after crowds gathered in southern Greece to watch part of the torch relay in Sparta, where the torch was carried by actor Gerard Butler.Greek health authorities have warned people to stay home, and have shut down everything from restaurants, bars and cafes to public organized beaches, ski resorts, hair salons and movie theaters, in an effort to curb the spread of the virus.Greece currently has 331 confirmed cases and four deaths.___ ___3:30 p.m.The Russian soccer league has taken a step closer to shutting down after CSKA Moscow canceled its upcoming game with Zenit St. Petersburg.The league is to meet Tuesday to discuss its response to the coronavirus outbreak. However, CSKA said it was no longer able to host Sunday’s game against Zenit after restrictions on mass gatherings in Moscow were tightened.CSKA says it will discuss potential rescheduling and refunds for spectators later. March 16, 2020 John Coates, who will have to go into government-mandated self-isolation when he returns to Australia this week from Olympic business in Europe, told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper: “It’s all proceeding to start on the 24th of July.”Former IOC vice president Dick Pound said in an interview with The Associated Press last month that the end of May loomed as a possible deadline for the IOC to make a call on the Tokyo Olympics.But Coates, an IOC vice president and head of the Australian Olympic Committee, told the Sydney paper in a telephone interview from Switzerland that the IOC didn’t recognize the deadline and he thought Pound had backed away from it, too.Coates says “it’s never been the IOC’s position. It was Dick’s idea. There is four months to go.”___ The Hungarian soccer federation has temporarily suspended all of its competitions.Federation spokesman Jeno Sipos says clubs have been asked to forego training sessions and make it possible for players and staff members to stay home.Sipos says in a video posted on the federation’s Facebook page “we hope we are contributing to stopping the spread of the epidemic.”The federation’s announcement was in line with a government decision to have sports matches played in empty stadiums and only if organizers took responsibility.Speaking Monday in parliament, famously soccer-mad Prime Minister Viktor Orban said it would be even better if matches were not played at all. 12:20 p.m.NHL players have been told they can return home and self-isolate there until the end of March while hockey is on hold amid the coronavirus pandemic.This signals a significant update on the league’s potential timeline to resume the season. Commissioner Gary Bettman announced last week the season was on pause and did not provide more specifics on how long that would last.Players had previously been told to remain in their team’s city and await further direction. The new directive comes in the aftermath of the CDC’s recommendation the U.S. not hold gatherings of 50 or more people for the next eight weeks.— Reporting by Hockey Writer Stephen Whyno The KHL has not commented on the withdrawals and its website still lists those teams as competing. The next scheduled games between teams which have not withdrawn are Wednesday.___9:55 a.m.The Greek Olympic committee says the Olympic flame handover ceremony for the Tokyo Games will take place without spectators in an effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak.The committee says the accreditation cards that had been issued for Thursday’s ceremony at the stadium in Athens where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896 would not be valid. The Russian league was the largest European soccer competition still operational over the weekend, with more than 33,000 fans attending a game between Zenit and Ural Yekaterinburg on Saturday.One large banner at the match read: “We’re all infected with soccer and will die for Zenit.”___2:10 p.m.The German soccer league has extended its suspension through at least April 2. The extension covers the next round of games and the upcoming international break.League CEO Christian Seifert says “it doesn’t mean that we assume we can play from April 3.”Seifert adds that some clubs could face potential financial collapse and put “tens of thousands of jobs” at risk without funding from TV broadcasts and sponsors.Paderborn player Luca Kilian has tested positive for the coronavirus. Three players in the second division also have the virus.Germany was the last of Europe’s top five leagues to suspend games.
It happened again.Syracuse goalie Allie Murray picked up the ground ball close to the goal after Mallory Vehar forced a turnover on Connecticut’s Carly Palmucci. Instead of trying to get rid of the ball quickly, she ran from left to right, nearly a full revolution around the goalie’s crease, at times holding the her stick straight out in front of her with one hand.As she got behind her own net, she tried to clear the ball to a nearby Orange defender. But the pass sailed wide and rolled out of bounds, giving the Huskies a prime opportunity to tie the game up at two a piece. Brooke Jensen did just that 22 seconds later. As UConn celebrated Murray put her head down and knocked the ball away.Murray’s high-risk, high-reward play is predicated on her stepping out far in the crease. Sometimes she’s made saves, like when she stuck her stick out across her body and dove from left to right to stop the a shot prior to allowing that second goal, drawing the loudest applause of the night. Other times, she’s made game-sealing mistakes, like when she ran too far out and turned the ball over against then-No. 3 Florida.Those kinds of big mistakes can shake a goalie’s confidence, but it didn’t affect Murray against Connecticut. She only gave up two more goals the rest of the way and her short memory was a key in No. 4 Syracuse’s (9-3, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) 17-7 blowout victory over Connecticut (7-2, 1-0 American Athletic) on Tuesday night in the Carrier Dome.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“The one thing that she did that we asked was get a save on the first shot, and she did,” SU head coach Gary Gait said. “That hasn’t happened a lot this year, and it started her confidence and it gave her a great first half with seven saves in that half.”Connecticut came into the game with a shooting percentage of 51.6 on 26.6 shots per game. But the Huskies only scored three goals despite managing to get off 13 shot attempts in the half.Syracuse pulled away from Connecticut when it went on an 8-0 blitz in the final 12:11 of the first half to open up a monstrous lead. But SU’s offense, which struggled the first 15 minutes of the game, might not have had a chance to end the game so early were it not for Murray’s play.Six of her first-half saves came before the run even started and the seventh one came just before Syracuse’s sixth goal, and second of the run. Time after time she tapped her stick all over the goalposts, much like a hockey goalie, and stepped up to block a Connecticut shot attempt, drawing huge applause from her teammates while inducing confusion and frustration for the Huskies.“A goalie that plays that high in her crease, you have to be savy about it, you have to be smart, and you have to fake and shoot around her,” UConn head coach Katie Woods said. “Because of how far out she plays we just hit her (with our shots).”The Huskies hugged each other, jumped up and down and celebrated like a team that wasn’t down 11 after managing to score on Murray with 12:32 left in the game, UConn’s first goal in over thirty minutes.Murray got pulled after it, but only because the game was so far out of reach. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 29, 2016 at 10:02 pm Contact Tomer: email@example.com | @tomer_langer
Three lucky winners in the GBTI’s Christmas ‘Celebrate in Style’ promotion were on Thursday presented with their prizes at the banking institution’s head office in Kingston, Georgetown.“I am overwhelmed with joy,” said Olinka Adams, first place winner, who won herself a trip to Trinidad and Tobago, compliments of the bank and LIAT.She said she applied for a loan in December and was overcome with emotions to find out that she had won the first prize. According to her, she has been using GBTI for some time now, and will continue to do so.Ms Patricia Ann Mitchell, the second place winner, won a trip for two to the AruwaiThe winners pose with staff after receiving their prizesResort. She, too, was elated.“I did not expect to win anything. I took a loan to do some things…and so was very surprised,” she said.She will be taking her husband with her to enjoy the all-inclusive overnight trip for two at the local tourism destination in the Mazaruni River.Krystle Lee and Ariane Chung, two sisters, were excited with their third place prize, especially being new customers of GBTI. They share a joint account, saw the promotion, and applied for a loan.“The weekend at the Marriot sounds good,” they said, noting it’s a good start to the New Year and a good start to a long and loyal customer relationship with the bank.The Celebrate in Style Christmas promotion was intended to provide rewards for customers who took loans between October and December 2018. To be eligible, customers were required to apply for a loan of $250,000 and more during the period.Customers responded well to the promotion, and GBTI thanks all those who participated and LIAT for being onboard.We look forward to doing more for our customers this year.