Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Homepage BannerNews Facebook Previous articleGovernment must discriminate in favour of the North West – ScanlonNext articleCounty Derry police investigate spate of overnight burglaries News Highland Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows A block-making firm which is at the centre of the defected block issue in Donegal has issued a statement regarding the on-going controversy.Cassidy Brothers, from Buncrana, spoke out yesterday to address what it has described as ‘misinformation’ and ‘serious allegations’ made by some media outlets.The statement is the first to be issued by Cassidy Bros regarding damage to masonry blocks in Donegal homes.In the statement “Cassidy Bros said that it fully recognises the genuine hardships suffered by people in Donegal whose properties are affected by damage to block work.The firm continued by stating that it has sincere sympathy for those whose properties have been affected.Cassidy Bros also apologised for not offering comment sooner due to constraints imposed as a result of a legal action.However, the firm now feels that there is a greater importance to be placed on acknowledging the torment of the people affected.Cassidy Borthers said it wholeheartedly backs homeowners in their calls for the implementation of an appropriate Government remediation scheme as soon as possible:“They are to be commended for their continued and hard-fought campaign for redress.“We acknowledge that homes exhibiting problems in Donegal were built using blocks purchased from a number of suppliers. We further acknowledge that similar problems in blockwork have been identified in other areas of Ireland where aggregate types used contain completely different rock constituents.“We believe it is necessary to define the exact cause of the damage to homes in order to limit the spread of misinformation.“Inaccurate reporting and commentary continues to take its toll, most notably on our hard-working and dedicated employees.“The continued circulation of misinformation jeopardises the very future of Cassidy Bros as a large-scale, local employer in Donegal.“Investigations have confirmed that Cassidy Bros’ masonry blocks – tested at point of manufacture – have at all times, past and present, complied with all relevant Government standards, regulations and specifications. Cassidy Bros is a local, family-owned and run business which has been a proud part of the north Donegal community for generations.“These issues were never envisaged by block manufacturers nor indeed reflected in the industry standards set down by the Government.“We welcome and embrace the recent introduction of regulations for increased block strength in line with expert recommendations. We further welcome that local architects are now specifying the use of blocks which are 2.6 times stronger than the previous Government standard and that experts are recommending the use of a render type which is appropriate for Donegal weather conditions.“A number of recommendations, resulting from investigations by leading independent experts in concrete technology and geology, were last month included in a public consultation submission by Cassidy Bros to the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI).“The submission regarded the standard protocol (I.S. 465:201x) for the assessment, testing and categorisation of the damaged buildings in Donegal and elsewhere.“The submission represented the first opportunity for Cassidy Bros to contribute to the important process of providing concerned homeowners with evidenced-based reasons for deterioration in their properties.“We felt it was appropriate to follow up on the submission to the NSAI with this public statement.“We believe establishing the facts by using appropriate scientific methods and adequate testing recommended by leading experts will allow for the establishment of a full and fair assessment of the damage to homes in Donegal.” Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Donegal block supplier respond to Mica concerns Google+ Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest WhatsApp By News Highland – August 17, 2018 WhatsApp Facebook Google+ Twitter Pinterest Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further
“There is a proposal of measures especially proposed by Germany and France that I will support because we need to react to what is happening in Hong Kong,” said Swedish Foreign Minister Anne Linde said before a rare meeting in person with her EU counterparts in Brussels.European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen last month warned of “very negative consequences” for Beijing if it curtailed guarantees of freedom in Hong Kong that are not enjoyed on the mainland.EU officials declined to go into details about the measures, but two EU diplomats said they did not amount to formal sanctions on China, the bloc’s second-largest trading partner.Instead, they entail extending the EU’s export ban on equipment that could be used for torture or repressive policing, such as spiked batons or rubber bullets, giving Hong Kong activists long-term refugee status in the bloc and supporting more opportunities for Hong Kong students to study in Europe.Sweden is seeking the release of its citizen Gui Minhai, who was sentenced to 10 years in jail in February, accused by Beijing of illegally providing intelligence overseas.Gui, a bookseller previously based in Hong Kong who sold books critical of China’s political leadership, was detained by mainland police in 2018. He was seized while with Swedish diplomats on a Beijing-bound train. Topics : Sweden said on Monday it supported Franco-German efforts for a robust response to China’s new security law on Hong Kong, joining Denmark and the Netherlands in pushing the European Union to consider countermeasures on Beijing.Like much of the West, the European Union has denounced the decision by China’s parliament to pass national security legislation for the former British colony of Hong Kong despite an international outcry.But its threat of reprisals is vague.
The Batesville Lady Bulldogs improved to 9-0 on Saturday and 5-0 in the EIAC with a 7-0 victory over the Connersville Lady Spartans. The Lady Bulldogs got off to a hot start as Denise Davalos took a shot from 30 yards out that the keeper could not keep out of the back of the net despite getting a hand on the shot. Batesville would add 2 more in the first half, as it was Carlie Werner who finished a beautiful cross from Hailey Mohr for the 2nd score. Davalos would add her second of the match with 3 minutes to play in the half on a direct kick from 25 yards out. Davalos bent the shot into the near post as the Lady Spartan goalkeeper watched it hit the back of the net. Batesville outshot Connersville 19-0 in the first stanza.In the second half, Batesville would add 4 more goals. Mohr found the back of the net after hitting the crossbar several times before the score. Abbey Prickel was moved up from defense for the last 10 minutes of the match and she utlized her time well. After getting the assist on the Mohr goal, she would add two of her own within a 3 minute span. Rounding out the scoring was Lauren Gutzwiller as Georgia Gratz got free on the right wing and played the ball into the box to Gutzwiller to score on an empty net. The Lady Bulldogs outshot the Lady Spartans 37 – 2 for the match. Ellie Waechter recorded her 6th shutout of the season alongside the solid defense made up of Abbey Prickel, Liz Heidlage, Ella Gutzwiller, Lily Meyer, and Olive Cerniglia.Batesville is back in action on Monday as they face the Mount Vernon (Fortville) Lady Marauders at Mt. Vernon.JV match: Saturday morning the JV girls soccer team took on the Connersville Spartans. The ladies only played a half of a game and gave it their all for the full 40 minutes, which was shown at the end of the half. The Bulldogs emphasize their strength in set plays by finishing on not only one corner kick but two leaving Ashley Nobbe with both assists. The first goal came from Caroline Kellerman cleaning up a loose corner kick ball on the back post of the goal. The second goal came from Chloe Saler pushing high and supporting the offense in a later corner kick. The ladies finished the half in the lead with a score of 2-0.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Kyle Laker.